Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Mi Dispiace

I apologize to those of you who actually read this....I've fallen wayyyyyy behind. Life's been a little crazy on this side of the ocean, including my laptop crashing on me. Oh well, it's still "la dolce vita".
Last week was another good one. Classes went really well; got to visit several museums and talk about all the best classical stuff. I've completely fallen in love with Bernini and all of his fountains and sculptures in Rome. I particularly love his statue of Apollo and Daphne in the Borghese Gallery(look it up online, it's incredible) My professors are all very interesting. I think it'll be a fun semester.
My exciting news for the week is that I spent the past weekend in the Cinque Terre. The Cinque Terre is a set of five towns(hence the name) that are built into the cliffs on the northwest coast of Italy. The landscape combined with these old colorful towns makes this a destination I want to visit a thousand times over. The tiny little cobble-stone streets were just begging to be explored! Every town has it's own unique character; it was fascinating getting a chance to explore each one.
Even better, an incredible hiking trail connects all 5 towns! The first day, Friday, we got there and hiked the entire thing from Riomaggiore to Monterosso. The whole trail winds it's way along the cliff top, going through vineyards and orchards. We briefly stopped in each town for a gelato or drink. The hiking trail was in great shape and had spectacular views. I promise to put pictures up as soon as I get my computer back. That night, we stayed in Riomaggiore. Since we booked so late, we had to pay a little extra, but it was definitely worth it! We got this beautiful room on top of the hill overlooking the entire town. In the morning, there was a huge thunderstorm out at sea, and we sat for an hour out on our balcony just watching it wreak havoc. I would go back there in a heartbeat.
The second day, we took the train to each individual town and really spent our time exploring. I don't think I've ever climbed as many stairs as I did this past weekend. Every little alley way or steep staircase just had to be explored. (as did the food alla pesto, foccacia, and granita) Each town is so different. Riomaggiore is a small, local town that comes alive at night. Manerola is small, but makes up for it in the number of boats. Corniglia is picturesque perched above the sea on a clifftop. Vernazza is tourist-filled, but definitely has the best view. And Monterosso is the biggest, most modern town with the best beach. I really love them all, haha.
Our final day was spent in Monterosso again, exploring a last little bit and acquiring presents(mom and dad-be excited)
This week is lazy...doing work and wandering Rome. I hope you all are enjoying the beginnings of fall. I promise I'll get better at posting. Arrivederci!

3 comments:

  1. hi. i was in cinque terre this weekend too! i can't believe i didn't see you, but you probably saw me getting sopping wet on one of the boats going by haha. crazy. miss you love you see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, what do you mean mom and dad be excited?! What about your favorite brother? I'm the best one you got!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. Sorry Sam. Mom and dad should be excited because I'm forcing them to go when they come here. You should come too! :-)

    ReplyDelete